Join us at Ivy Creek Natural Area on Saturday, April 14, from 10 am-4 pm (rain date Sunday, April 15) for a fun, family-oriented, community event to celebrate the season’s opening of Ivy Creek Natural Area’s barn, once part of historic River View Farm. The farm was founded c. 1870 by Hugh Carr, a former African American slave freed by emancipation. Fun activities for children of all ages will feature wildlife and natural resources conservation, dairy farming information from past decades, and cultural history of the farm.
- Meet Tillie, the milkable (fiberglass) cow
- Learn how butter and ice cream were made 100 years ago
- Guess the ages of trees by counting rings
- Make bird treats and learn how to watch birds with binoculars
- Plant seeds and learn how to start a native garden
- Learn about pollinators and how they provide important help in food production
- Take a close look at stream creatures
- Many other activities for children of all ages!